Monday, February 6, 2023

Madame et Le Chien, oil on linen, 22" x 30"


 I have a close friend who is naturally elegant. She is tall and graceful and has lovely refined features. She also has a beautiful and elegant Weimaraner named Greta. Whenever I see them out walking together I have a strong urge to paint them in a double portrait. But I had not figured out how to do it and elevate it beyond being a pedestrian likeness. Also my friend is modest and I couldn't imagine that she would enjoy the process of having her portrait painted. One day I was perusing a gorgeous book on John Singer Sargent with full color plates and I was mesmerized by the studies for and the the final painting titled "Madame X" which Sargent painted in 1883 of the young socialite Virginia Amelie Avegno Gautreau, the wife of the French Banker Pierre Gautreau. It is a stunning and mysterious painting. As I was studying it the subject Madame Gautreau suddenly brought the image of my friend and her dog Greta to mind. There was something so familiar. So after doing a few sketches I decided to paint Greta and have Madame Gautreau stand in for my elegant friend. I composed the painting so that Greta's stance and profile mirror Madame X's, and in a setting that echoes the late 1800 period. The breeze lifting the sheer curtain and what the subjects are gazing at beyond the window- remain a mystery. 

Here is more about the original Madame X, which caused quite a bit of controversy in its time.

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-madame-scandalized-art

1 comment:

Camille Moore said...

Kathryn, what a gorgeous painting and I love it even more knowing the story behind it! Madame X drew me in immediately and then getting to relish Greta and each of poetic elements just kept me captivated inside your painting. I’m a draperymaker by trade so anytime I see a flowy curtain in a painting, I’m mesmerized!
❤️ one of your fans, Camille